The following is a list of my favourite (interesting & intelligent) quotes :
/ I / Quotes concerning '' Life and Death ''
1. I hope the leaving is joyful; and I hope never to return. Frida Kahlo
2. Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious. Brendan Gill
3. Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. A. Sachs
4. As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death. Leonardo da Vinci
5. Everything has been figured out, except how to live. Jean-Paul Sartre
6. A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is
wrong, as well as useless, to resist. Stewart Alsop
7. Life is half spent before we know what it is. George Herbert
8. There is only one difference between a long life and a good dinner: that, in the dinner, the sweets
come last. Robert Louis Stevenson
9. It is impossible that anything so natural, so necessary, and so universal as death, should ever
have been designed by Providence as an evil to mankind. Jonathan Swift
10. Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all. William Goldman
11. Pale Death with impartial tread beats at the poor man's cottage door and at the palaces of kings.
12. Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased
by tales, so is the other. Francis Bacon
13. To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise
people are diligent. Buddha
14. To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he can never know
that he is dead. Samuel Butler
15. When you're dead, you're dead. That's it. Marlene Dietrich
16. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
17. Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises. Samuel Butler
18. It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and THEN do your best.
W. Edwards Deming
19. In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
20. Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition
of your life; define yourself. Harvey Fierstein
21. Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at
the stars. Henry Van Dyke
22. But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is
made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
23. It is not length of life, but depth of life. Ralph Waldo Emerson
24. All life is an experiment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
25. My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I
occupy myself as best I can. Cary Grant
26. The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. William James
27. Literature is mostly about having sex and not much about having children. Life is the other way
round. David Lodge
28. People living deeply have no fear of death. Anais Nin
29. No one can confidently say that he will still be living tomorrow. Euripides
30. You can kill a man but you can't kill an idea. Medgar Evers
31. A man who won't die for something is not fit to live. Martin Luther King, Jr.
32. Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you
know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see. Helen Keller
33. All our knowledge merely helps us to die a more painful death than animals that know nothing.
34. A man's dying is more the survivors' affair than his own. Thomas Mann
35. We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe
of death. David Sarnoff
36. The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity. OpLucius Annaeus Seneca
/II/ '' Marriage : Men and Women ''
37. A successful husband is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman
is one who can find such a man!
38. A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband. A man never worries about his future
until he gets a wife!
39. When a man opens the door of his car for his wife, you can be sure of one thing: either the car is
new or the wife.
40. Bad Teddy recently explained to me why he refuses to ever get married. He says "the wedding rings
look too much like miniature handcuffs....."
41. To be happy with a man, you must understand him a lot and love him a little. To be happy with a
woman, you must love her a lot and not try to understand her at all !
42. We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.
43. Why is Hillary upset?
Because she may have been the FIRST LADY, but she won't be the LAST!
44. Many years ago when I was 23, I got married to a widow. This widow had a grown-up daughter. My
father fell in love with her, and soon they got married. This made my Dad my son-in-law and
changed my very life. See below how:
My daughter was my mother too because she was my father's wife! After a few years I bacame
father of a baby boy complicating the matter further. My son became the brother-in-law of my
45. Love is blind but marriage is an eye-opener.
46. Marriage is not a word. It is a sentence - a life sentence.
47. Marriage is an institution in which a man loses his Bachelor's Degree and the woman gets her
48. A husband said to his wife, "No, I don't hate your relatives. In fact, I like your mother-in-law better
than I like mine."
49. The honeymoon is over when the husband calls home to say he'll be late for dinner and the
answering machine says it is in the microwave.
50. A little boy asked his father, "Daddy, how much does it cost to get married?" And the father replied,
"I don't know, son, I'm still paying for it."
51. A man said his credit card was stolen but he decided not to report it because the thief was
spending less than his wife did.
52. Husband: Honey, why are you wearing your wedding ring on the wrong finger? Wife: Because I
married the wrong man!
53. After a quarrel, a husband said to his wife, "You know, I was a fool when I married you." She
replied, "Yes, dear, but I was in love and didn't notice."
54. A lady inserted an "ad" in the classifieds: "Husband wanted". Next day she received hundreds of
letters. They all said the same thing: "You can have mine."
55. Marriage is like a mousetrap. Those on the outside are trying to get in. Those on the inside are
trying to get out.
56. A happy marriage is a matter of giving and taking; the husband gives and the wife takes.
57. Bride: A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her.
58. There was a man who said, "I never knew what happiness was until I got married, and then it was
59. When a newly married man looks happy, we know why. But when a ten-year married man looks
happy, we wonder why.
60. My wife ran off with my best friend last week. I miss him!
61. Getting married is similar to going to the restaurant with friends. You order what you want, and
when you see what the other fellow has, you wish you had ordered that.
62. Marriage is a romantic story, in which hero dies in the first chapter.
63. Every man should get married some time; after all, happiness is not the only thing in life!!
64. Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others.
NB: Quote # 64 is said by Oscar Wilde.
/III/ Miscellaneous Brainy Quotes:
* A woman has got to love a bad man once or twice in her life, to be thankful for a good one.
Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
* Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
* Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.
* If you believe in the Lord, He will do half the work : the last half.
More of my favourite quotes will be posted soon... So, visit this webpage again!
Finally, please let me know your opinion and evaluation of my website by signing my Guest Book !